Triplets

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

Garin

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Sunday, July 3, 2011

July 3, 2011 ~ Finally...26 Weeks!!

Today we have officially hit 26 weeks and 7 weeks and 4 days of bedrest down!  Hooray!  Each day really counts as we found out last Monday at our last doctor's appointment over in Fargo.  It was an interesting appointment that left us with an unsettling feeling in our stomachs.  Everything seemed to be going so well and now we have a few concerns...

During the ultrasound, they found that Baby B has one of her kidneys enlarged.  I believe they like to see them measuring 0.2-0.3 cm and her's was at 0.59 cm.  It is not to the point where it is scary, but it is something we are going to have to watch closely to make sure that she will be ok.

We also found that there is a good chance that the measurements of my cervix that were being done in Bismarck were not accurate.  In order to get an accurate measurement that they need to observe the cervix for at least 5 minutes as my uterus can contract and move thus changing the measurement.  With that, we found that my cervix is actually down to 2.5 cm which is a little different than the measurement a week ago in Bismarck at 3.6 cm.  We are getting to the point that my body is getting ready to push these little girls out!  I can't blame it with my belly measuring 49 inches and the average pregnancy at the end only measures about 42 inches!  With the cervical change, the doctor recommended that we begin steroid injections in order to help the babies lungs develop faster in preparation for their birth.  I had one injection Monday in Fargo and another on Tuesday back in Bismarck.

When we asked the perinatologist (specialty in high risk pregnancies) in Fargo about the duration of the pregnancy and how soon these babes may arrive he said that it is so dependant on the woman's body.  He said that he has had women dilated to 4 cm and keep babies in for another two months and he has others in my situation that may have the babies within a few days.  So basically, we have no idea!  The plan is to repeat these steroids again in two weeks in order to always have them helping the babies' lungs mature a little faster.

Speaking of little babes...they are growing like weeds in there!  Baby A measured 1 lb 13 oz (measured 1 lb 6 oz one week ago), Baby B at 1 lb 15 oz (1 lb 10 oz) and our biggest, Baby C at 2 lbs (1 lb 11 )!!!  All I can say is, grow babies grow!  They all are still measuring about a week ahead of average so hopefully that will help them if they decide to join us early!

We also got to go back and see all of the fabulous nurses and doctors that helped us get here!  Without them we would not have been able to have another child.  All of your kind words, gentle teasing, and encouragement along the way has really changed our lives!  I don't know if we can ever find the right way of saying thank you to all of you!  Dr C. who apparently gets days off...we hope when you have a clinic day in Bismarck again that you let us know when so that we can give you a big hug as well (and corner you about when you are coming to babysit these three girls!).  Really, we would love it if sometime that you are here that we could hopefully show you this big belly or the beautiful girls that are going to come from it!  Thanks again to all of you!

Tuesday was a little different day...I went in for a very minor surgical procedure to have three moles removed (one near my eye and two on my arm) that were starting to get a little suspicious.  With my mom battling of skin cancer the last few years, we didn't want to let them go on any longer.  We will find out in a few days what the pathologist decides that my moles were...hopefully just a safety precaution!

The moles were only the beginning of being picked on (or so I felt) that day.  We met with our OB, Dr. I after the mole removal to get the other steroid shot for the babes lung development.  From here she wanted to immediately admit me for a 12-hour IV dose of magnesium sulfate, which is suppose to help the neural development and prevent hemorrhaging after a premature birth.  The IV wasn't as bad as they made it sound, but it was not fun at all.  It made me feel so hot inside as well as completely parched.  I don't think I have ever drank so much water or pee'd so often in my life.  Good thing this all wore off after a few days!

So after the moles, injection and IV, I felt pretty defeated.  Up until this point I felt that I was being so strong and brave as this pregnancy weighs and beats up my body, but I finally hit a point where all I could do was cry.  I've been doing a lot of praying and asking for help to make it through the final stages.  I realize now that nothing about this pregnancy or these babies is in my control.  I can put up a strong fight to keep them in my belly as long as possible, but it is out of my hands now.  Only God will know when it is time for these little ones to show us their faces!  That is a hard reality for someone who is a Type A, likes to be in control of herself, planner-type of person.  I guess this too will only make me a stronger person in the end.

So the best news is that we have made it to 26 weeks!  Each day is so important now.  The first major stepping stone was to hit 24 weeks, which is the point when the babes are viable outside of my belly.  The next major stepping stone is 28 weeks, which is the point where we are past most major premature birth defects.  So that is our next goal!  The next points are too far out for me to think about, so I won't even go there.  But triplets are born on average at 32-33 weeks, so we are getting there (not fast enough of course)!

We still don't know what to think of the river in Bismarck!  They have started decreasing the flows out of the Lake Sakawea reservoir, but yet it still has more water coming in than what they are pushing out the dam!  And furthermore, we are still above the level of the spillway gates!  We just fear that they are starting to make some cutbacks on the flow prematurely.  If there was a heavy rain or fast snow melt in the mountains, I am afraid that the flooding will only get worse in Bismarck.  So we still are not planning on making any changes with me not living at home or with moving our belongings back home.  There are still so many things that can happen and the river is still very high.  I guess you could say we learned from Minot when they had to evacuate a few weeks ago, but remained dry and now look at the massive flooding they have had!  Speaking of, our prayers go out to everyone affected by the flooding, but especially my cousin in Minot M. & H. M. whose house has become part of the dike being covered with dirt.  I wish there was so much more that I could do to help you besides offering prayers and my support!

We'll leave you with yet another belly picture:
The smile can be deceiving!!  These babes are getting very heavy these days!

No comments:

Post a Comment