Triplets

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

Garin

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Wednesday, May 11, 2011

May 11, 2011 - Change in Plans

Well, we are at 18 weeks and 3 days and we didn't have the smoothest morning around here.  I was struggling with my back pain yesterday and last night which caused me to not sleep very well as well.  Early this morning I was feeling a lot of pressure at the bottom of my belly with pain that got intense and then let up several times.  After a short period of this, I told Craig that we better call and get this all checked out.

We arrived at the hospital about 6:00 am and they put me on the monitor right away to see what was going on.  Shortly after we found out that I was indeed having contractions.  They were not very intense and sporadic in the time between each of them.  They ordered a urine and talked with Dr I (the OB) who ordered yet another ultrasound.  About 10:00 am they finally came with the ultrasound and we were very relieved to see as each baby squirmed around!  I wasn't into keeping track of heart rates today, but they were all around 150 beats per minute which is around what they have been running.  So we figured the babies were all ok!!  Whew!  So next was checking out that wonderful cervix.  Surprisingly all of the SOB (sitting on my butt) over the weekend worked because there was no additional change since last Friday (5 days ago)!  Hooray it's working!!

So we still couldn't figure out what was causing the contractions other than that is what the uterus naturally does as one progresses through a pregnancy.  They said that they would send me home on 'modified bedrest' as well as some Procardia to help stop and control the contractions.  So the new plan now is to keep in lying flat or in a recliner for most of the day including mealtime.  I am allowed a hall pass for bathroom privileges and to grab some food or snacks.  Thank goodness they give me 15 minutes to take a shower everyday as well!  What fun we are going to have this summer!  She also gave me some lovely knee high TED hose that can only come off for 15-60 minutes a day.  G man really likes these since they have a hole under my toes.  He keeps playing "This little piggy..."  I also picked up a wheelchair so I can be pushed around the block for a walk from time to time.

All of these things seem to have gotten me down a bit today (not to mention the stress on Craig and Grandma N who was home with G), but I/we have to keep looking at the bright side.  Everyone is healthy and growing!  This is just one of the hurdles we have to jump over to bring these munchkins into the world.

1 comment:

  1. Trish, glad to hear that things are still "ok", well, as ok as they can be. I know bedrest is not fun (been there done that) but it is sooooo worth it. And enjoy the time at home as much as you can. Bedrest at home would be much better than in the hospital, at least that's my opinion. I would have rather been home than in the hospital.

    One little tip that you've maybe heard... DRINK LOTS OF WATER! Everytime I started contracting, the nurses had me drink more water and that seemed to tame things down quite a bit.

    ReplyDelete